Who carries out a Fire risk assessment?

qualified ink stamp

Can I carry out a Fire risk assessment myself?

In order to carry out a Fire risk assessment, you do need some knowledge of the guidance which is relevant to your type of premises, as well as an understanding of the methodology for carrying out an assessment. Fire risk assessments assess the potential hazards within the premises and the likelihood of those starting a fire. It also looks at the prevention measures in place and the overall fire safety management. An action plan can then be drawn up, using the observations from the assessment. This can then be used to bring the overall risk of fire occurring, as well as the potential harm to occupants down, to a tolerable level. The fire risk assessment then needs to be reviewed regularly, this will ensure that the level of risk is being maintained.

What qualifications do you need to carry out a Fire risk assessment?

There are many relevant qualifications which could give you the skills and knowledge to complete a Fire risk assessment. There are specific courses delivered by a number of organisations, including the Fire Service College or Fire Protection Association (FPA) for Fire risk assessments, which take a period of 3-5 days to complete. NEBOSH also offer a Fire Safety and Risk management certificate, designed to help those who are responsible for the fire safety of their organisation.

Can I do my own Fire risk assessment?

If you don’t have any experience or knowledge of fire safety, it would always be a good idea to get your first fire risk assessment, carried out by an experienced and qualified fire risk assessor. The resulting report should then give you a clear understanding of what has been assessed, as well as a clear action plan of what needs to be done, in order to bring any risks down. It may then be possible for you to review the assessment yourself, as well as maintaining your regular fire safety checks, to keep the occupants and premises fire safe. If at any point there are material changes to the premises, either in it’s structure or the use of the building, then a new Fire risk assessment would be required.

If you would like more information about our assessors or how the fire risk assessment works, please give us a call or send us an enquiry